Return to the list

CLOITRE DE LA CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME-DE-L'ASSOMPTION

This cloister replaced the medieval Benedictine abbey one. The construction of the three galleries of the cloister and the west wing floor took place during the first half of the 16th century, while the plans for the east wing floor were drawn up in 1874.

CLOITRE DE LA CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME-DE-L'ASSOMPTION
Address : Place du Général Leclerc
85400 LUCON
FRANCE

Contact: CLOITRE DE LA CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME-DE-L'ASSOMPTION

For further information, please contact the service provider directly by completing the form below

Further information to help you get around
Date of stay
Recevoir des informations de la part d’ « enpaysdelaloire.com »
The information that you send us is for the sole use of the regional public company of Pays de la Loire: we promise not to share it with any third parties.

Presentation of: CLOITRE DE LA CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME-DE-L'ASSOMPTION

Although the ribbed vaults of the three galleries are done in a flamboyant Gothic style (late 15th century), the keystones of the western gallery have a cut leather decoration: a characteristic of the Renaissance: 16th century (French Renaissance). The first floor of this wing is particularly remarkable, with its diamond-shaped pilasters and mouldings from the first Renaissance repertoire. From 1858, during the restoration of the cloister by the diocesan architect Juste Lisch, the first floor was extensively remodelled and nothing remains of the interior fittings. In 1847, the architect Émile Boeswillwald discovered the tomb of an abbot, with an enamelled copper stock dating from the 13th century. It was in order to house the 30,000 books bequeathed by Bishop Jacques Marie Baillès in 1873 that Bishop Charles Théodore Colet asked to raise the east wing, but the construction of a library was planned from 1866. In 1874, its realization was entrusted to the Luçonnais entrepreneur Henri Hibert.

On the ground floor, an adjoining door, redone in the 19th century, gives access to part of the bishopric arranged in the former chapter house. On the first floor of the western gallery, we can discover a pilaster construction decorated with rosettes and diamond-shaped boxes in Renaissance style. This gallery links to the cathedral through a door dating from the late 17th century surmounted by two angels framing a shield erased during the Revolution. The cloister is open to visitors at the same time as the cathedral.
Opening times
Open all year round
Site theme
Cloister
Site category
Registered and listed sites
Architectural style of the site
Gothic
Renaissance
Free
yes
Visits
Free tours (individuelles): Yes
Free tours (groupes): Yes
Further information
Groups accepted
Pets not allowed
Visible point of interest without tour

Other: Patrimoine religieux

CHAPELLE DU CARMEL

LUCON

The Carmel of Luçon, founded in 1847 by the Carmel of Nantes, has never left its original place.

EGLISE SAINT-MAIXENT

VOUILLE-LES-MARAIS

This church is dedicated to Saint-Maixent who with his healing reputation attracted pilgrims.

EGLISE SAINTE RADEGONDE

SAINTE-RADEGONDE-DES-NOYERS

This church is on a Benedictan priory. This building was just a barn in 1124, the church exists since 1357.