Return to the list

CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME-DE-L'ASSOMPTION

On the site of the first Benedictine monastery (middle 7th century) founded by St Philbert de Noirmoutier. Ravaged by the Normans in 853 and 877, burned down by the Count of Poitou in 1068 (condemned by the Pope to rebuild the church).

Address : Place du Général Leclerc
85400 LUCON
FRANCE

Presentation of: CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME-DE-L'ASSOMPTION

The diocese headquarters since 1317, the cathedral of Luçon has a much older history. It is around the year 675 that a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philbert de Noirmoutier is mentioned. If religious life was disrupted by the Norman invasions, it was around the year 1000 and then the 12th century that Luçon began to find its stability. It was in 1040 that the priory of Luçon was elevated to the rank of abbey. Restored following the ravages of the Hundred Years' War and the Wars of Religion, Luçon Cathedral has an astonishing classical facade designed by the Poitou architect François Leduc at the dawn of the 18th century. Already built by François Leduc, the Gothic arrow was rebuilt in the 19th century, it is 85m high. From the Romanesque period, the left transept remains, visible to all, but also many sculpted elements hidden in the attic. The cathedral was profoundly transformed in the 14th and 15th centuries from its 12th century foundation. Like the cathedral, the 16th century cloister is open to visitors. Among the furniture are the painted wooden pulpit of Bishop Pierre Nivelle (17th century), the 18th century choir, the Cavaillé-Coll/Schwenkedel organ, the buffet that was designed by Émile Boeswillwald, one of the main religious architects of the 19th century. In the right transept, the public can admire a Descent of the Cross painted by the 17th century French master, Lubin Baugin. More recently, the furniture of the celebration choir has been entrusted to the goldsmith and contemporary artist Guji.
Opening times
Open all year round
Site theme
Cathedral
Architectural style of the site
Classical
Gothic
Romanesque
Free
yes
Visits
Free tours (individuelles): Yes
Free tours (groupes): Yes
Visit languages
Billboards: French
Access map, location
Sea side: 25 Km
Marais Poitevin: 40 Km
Puy du Fou: 80 Km
Further information
Groups accepted
Pets not allowed
Visible point of interest without tour
© OT Luçon
SVLT
SVLT
SVLT
SVLT
SVLT

Other: Patrimoine religieux

ABBAYE ROYALE

SAINT-MICHEL-EN-L'HERM

In 682, it was on one of the limestone islets of the Gulf of Pictons that the monks of Noirmoutier came to build the abbey of St M