Return to the list

Croix des 3 Fontaines

Wrought iron cross in memory of the 5,000 victims of the 3rd Battle of Luçon in 1793.

Address : Route des Trois-Fontaines
85320 CORPE

Presentation of: Croix des 3 Fontaines

In 1793, Luçon, the provisional capital of the Vendée, was held by Republican troops. On 22 June, 30 July and 14 August, Royalist troops attempted to take the town.
On 14 August, the 40,000-strong Vendée army crossed the Mainclaye bridge. Opposite, General Tuncq, commander of the Luçon garrison, deployed his 6,000 men on the outskirts of the town, in front of the Corpe plain and the Sainte Gemme forest.
After the victory of the Vendée left wing, General Tuncq took advantage of the lack of coordination of the enemy command and, with a heavy artillery fire, created havoc in the enemy lines. The hussars' cavalry created panic and the plain of Corpe was littered with corpses.
Opening times
Open all year round
Site theme
Minor heritage
Free tours (individuelles): Yes
Free tours (groupes): Yes
Visit languages
Billboards: French
Further information
Groups accepted
Visible point of interest without tour

Other: Autres monuments et patrimoines

Moulin Cyprien


Since the 15th century, the River Sarthe has relentlessly turned the waterwheel of Cyprien Mill Near the mill, the wood furnace ta