Return to the list

La fontaine Sainte-Anne

The cult of Saint Anne was initiated and spread by Saint Philibert, then Abbot of Noirmoutier, to the point of making it one of the main cults of the Pays de Retz.

Address : Route de Nantes

Presentation of: La fontaine Sainte-Anne

The body of Saint Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary, was transported to Provence by the first apostles. He was subsequently hidden in Apt. Charlemagne, in 792, discovered this relic and communicated it to the Pope.

The monks of Saint Philibert introduced the cult of Saint Anne in the 9th century during the evangelization of Vue. They are Celtic monks still in relation with the monasteries of Ireland.

Historians believe that an acculturation of the Celtic cult of the divinity Ana was then made by Christians. Vue, a small town built in the middle of the marshes, famous Sainte-Anne as its patron saint.

A public fountain was built on the remains of the Gallic fountain in the village of Châtellerie de Vue. It is dedicated to Saint Anne. A ceremony is celebrated there every year on July 26 at Saint Anne: the pardon of Vue.

Miracles are said to have taken place in Vue. They were certified by the masters and notaries of the parish. The waters of the fountain would indeed have ophthalmic properties. On May 29, 1657, Jacques Burgaud, who has always been blind, regains his sight. In addition, on July 28, 1659, a young woman aged 26, Jeanne de Grassineau, resident of Beauvoir-sur-Mer, covered the use of her legs. During the drought of 1976, there were many pilgrimages to the fountain of Saint Anne. They all prayed for the rain to fall.
Site theme
Parish cross and enclosure
OTI Pornic - Marie LE GAL
OTI Pornic - Marie LE GAL

Other: Patrimoine religieux

Abbaye Royale


The abbey was founded in 682 AD on a limestone islet. Following the Concordat of 1516, it became a royal abbey.