Return to the list

Chapelle de l'Hopital Sainte-Madeleine

Founded in February 1400, the chapel was closed in 1791 following the French Revolution, then restored in 1804. Restored for the 1st time in 1866, it was in need of further restoration: the roof was redone in 1999 by the hospital, and in 2009-2010 the parish undertook the restoration of the inter...

Address : Rue de l’hôpital
85400 LUCON
FRANCE

Presentation of: Chapelle de l'Hopital Sainte-Madeleine

The chapel was founded in February 1400 by Nicolas Febvre, chaplain to the hospital, so that the sick could attend services. In 1679, Mgr de Barillon had the Luçon hospital recognised by Louis XIV. During the Revolution, the chapel was closed and the bells removed.
Worship was re-authorised in 1804. Restoration work was undertaken in 1866. Built of ashlar, it is a vast rectangular vessel lit on the street side by two large windows with a broken profile and a bay on the courtyard side; it ends with a flat chevet pierced by a triplet that bears witness to an intervention in the 19th century.
Opening times
Open all year round
Site theme
Chapel
Site category
Registered and listed sites
Architectural style of the site
Gothic
Romanesque
Free
yes
Further information
Pets not allowed
Visible point of interest without tour

Other: Patrimoine religieux

Abbaye Royale

SAINT-MICHEL-EN-L'HERM

The abbey was founded in 682 AD on a limestone islet. Following the Concordat of 1516, it became a royal abbey.

Eglise Saint-Sauveur

MAREUIL-SUR-LAY-DISSAIS

Although the building has been destroyed and rebuilt several times, part of it dates back to the 11th century.