Return to the list

EGLISE SAINT JULIEN

Address :
RUE DE VERDUN
85150 SAINT-JULIEN-DES-LANDES
FRANCE

Presentation of: EGLISE SAINT JULIEN

On 8 December 1885, the foundation stone of the current church was laid. It was built in the neo-Gothic style, which was almost de rigueur at the time. The new church was impressive not only for its height, but also for its size, covering an area of 600 m2. The entire population rallied round, contributing either through donations or, more ostentatiously, through direct contributions to the building.

This is how the bell tower-porch houses the statue of St Julien, where you can see the coats of arms of the De Lauzon family, who lived in the Château de la Forêt at the time.

Inside are the two tombstones left over from the old church of Jacques Foucher, Esquire, Lord of Brandeau, and his wife, who were married in 1550.

The chapel of St Roch was built thanks to the generosity of the Morisson de La Bassetière family, whose coats of arms can also be seen, as well as a stained glass window showing the family's children.

The chapel of the Virgin Mary and the stained glass windows on the south side were donated by the de La Roche St André family, whose coats of arms can be seen in the chapel.

The main window showing St Julien was donated by the Thouzeau family, owners of the Brandeau estate. On the north side, a beautiful stained glass window commemorating the 14-18 war was donated by Mrs Prudent Tesson in memory of her son who died in the war. The stained glass window above the porch depicting Notre Dame de Lourdes was installed in 1959 following a general subscription.
Opening times
Open all year round
Site theme
Church
Free
yes

Other: Patrimoine religieux

Abbaye Royale

SAINT-MICHEL-EN-L'HERM

The abbey was founded in 682 AD on a limestone islet. Following the Concordat of 1516, it became a royal abbey.

L'eglise Saint-Pierre

LES MOUTIERS-EN-RETZ

The building is dated from 11th century for a part, and from the middle of the 16 th century for the other part.