Return to the list

Eglise de Dissais - Musee des 3 Batailles

The Romanesque church at Dissais was built in the XIᵉ and XIIᵉ centuries. It houses the family vault of Lord Sabourin (dated 1705).

Address : 25 Rue François Sabourin
85320 MAREUIL-SUR-LAY-DISSAIS
FRANCE

Presentation of: Eglise de Dissais - Musee des 3 Batailles

Eglise de Dissais - Three Battles site

This Romanesque church was built in the XIᵉ and XIIᵉ centuries. It houses the family vault of Lord Sabourin (dated 1705). Restored after the Wars of Religion in the 15ᵉ, its bell tower was raised in the 17ᵉ century. The church was sold as national property in 1798 to the widow of the Lord of Dissais.

Church of longitudinal plan; flat chevet. The semi-circular portal on the façade is surmounted by a large oculus. The corner buttresses of the façade are covered by a gable roof. The square bell tower is located on the south side of the façade. It has no spire.

It is now owned by the commune.

Since 1993, it has housed the Trois Batailles memorial. The permanent exhibition explains the tragic events of the three battles that took place on 28 June, 30 July and 14 August 1793, during the Vendée Wars. The Vendéens attempted to storm the town of Luçon, leaving 7,500 dead.

Group visits are available on request from the town hall. Groups of 10 or more.
Opening times
from 21/09/2024 to 22/09/2024
Site theme
Church
Site category
Registered and listed sites
Architectural style of the site
Romanesque
Free
yes
Visits
Guided tours on request (groupes): Yes
Further information
Groups accepted

Other: Patrimoine religieux

Abbaye Royale

SAINT-MICHEL-EN-L'HERM

The abbey was founded in 682 AD on a limestone islet. Following the Concordat of 1516, it became a royal abbey.