CHAPELLE NOTRE DAME DE SAINT SULPICE
Following the Sarthe at Cheffes along the side of the mill, you reach the Val Saint-Sulpice and its chapel, one of Cheffes' harbours facing the lock.
The Notre Dame de Saint Sulpice chapel in Cheffes was restored in 1882 in the Renaissance style. Above the entrance door, Notre Dame de Sion, patron saint of Christian mothers. The walls bear witness to a much earlier origin; the arch visible on the river side dates from the 11th century. The flat chevet retains traces of a 15th-century window or niche.Inside, the decoration is modest: the nave is made of painted wooden framework and floor, like that of the former church. Two groups of 19th-century statues flank the entrance: a Pieta and a Virgin and Child. In the choir, Notre Dame de Cheffes is watched over by two polychrome sculpted heads dressed in costumes.
In 1716, Ballain cited Notre Dame de Saint Sulpice as a place of pilgrimage where "many miracles have been and are still being performed".
Contact
Practical information
Site theme
Chapel
Site category
Registered and listed sites
Architectural style of the site
Gothic
Romanesque
Access to the free site
Yes
Location
Spoken language
French
Facilities
Picnic area
Further information
Groups accepted
Pets not allowed
Visible point of interest without tour